5 ways to avoid eye strain
We live in the age of computer screens, there's no getting around it. There's almost no escaping the daily need to use a device at some point throughout the day. Whether you embrace or resent this new reality, it's now become more important than ever to take care of our eyesight. We here at the clinic in Calgary recommend that you get an eye exam at least once a year. But there's more that you can do. Take it from the experts at Dr. Bishop & Associates and follow these tips for avoiding eye strain when looking at your screen.
1. Take a break: one of the most common causes of eye strain is the simple act of staring at a screen for extended periods of time. If your work requires you to sit in front of a computer all day, be sure to take frequent breaks-every 20 minutes- from looking at your screen. This rule also applies to spending time on your smartphone. If you have trouble pulling yourself away from the screen, there are apps like awareness and timeout to help remind you when it's time to look away.
2. Reduce glare: keep your computer monitor clean and consider installing an anti-glare device on your screen. Also consider adjusting your display settings. It may not seem significant, but adjusting the brightness and text format on your screen can go a long way toward decreasing eye strain. The brightness of your screen should be roughly equivalent to the brightness of the room you work in.
3. Blink more often: did you know that you only blink 1/3 as often as usual when staring at a computer screen? When working for prolonged periods of time, your eyes dry out quickly and cause you to squint to see the screen. Make it a point to blink more and keep your eyes moist. If you're in Calgary and continue to have issues with dry eyes, ask an eye doctor about artificial tears or lubricating eye drops.
4. Blue Blocking Lenses: blue blocker lenses provide indoor and outdoor protection from the harmful effect of high-energy visible (HEV) blue light and UV rays.
5. See one of our doctors in Calgary: if you continue to experience issues with eye strain after taking these steps, make an appointment with an eye clinic near you. The doctor might recommend special eyewear to help your focus on your screen without straining your eyes.
If you are experiencing chronic eye strain or any other issues with your optical health, give us a call at 403-974-3937. With three clinic in Calgary, there's sure to be one conveniently located to fit your needs. Contact us today!